In the vapor smoking world, when we say “steep” we aren’t talking about tea. Steeping e-liquid is an advanced technique that helps draw out the flavor depth of certain blends. Zodist defines this technique as follows: “Steeping is process of letting the ejuice rest for a period of time to improve the flavor of the juice. This is very much like letting good wine age.”
There are several different ways you can steep e-liquid. Below are a two variations: slow and fast.
Slow steeping is the simplest way to age your e-liquid. All you have to do is let it sit and periodically check on and shake the bottle(s).
- Begin by shaking your bottle vigorously. E-liquid is a viscous solution and needs a good deal of shaking to blend it properly.
- After blending, place your e-liquid in a cool, dark place as over time light will degrade the solution. Good places to store your e-liquid are a closet or a cabinet that isn’t opened often.
- Wait a week and re-blend your e-liquid. Then repeat the process until you’re happy with the flavor you have achieved. Just make sure that you don’t pass the expiration date of your e-liquid.
If your too impatient for slow steeping (ain’t nobody got time for that), then we recommend trying a faster steeping method, such as:
- Adding heat. Heat speeds up the steeping process by making the e-liquid less gooey. Put the bottles in some warm water for a length of time.
- Continuously apply heat to the bottles for several days using a slow cooker, coffee mug warmer, or even just leaving the bottles next to your computer’s heat vent.
Steeping isn’t a science, but it can take practice to make sure you don’t over-steep (yes, that’s a thing too!). There may be a few bad batches before you find the best technique for your e-liquid, so be sure to stock up!